Mar 24, 2010

Pulled Chicken Sandwiches: On the Cheap

Some where out there you have a sandwich soul mate. I bet you didn't know that?
True story. I have found my favorite sandwich in the entire world. The best part is, aside from the sodium in them, they are really healthy and low calorie. Oh, and you cook them in a slow cooker. Hello, delicious, cheap, easy meal. If you do not have a slow cooker ( and why wouldn't you?!) you can toss these in a casserole and simmer in the oven for many hours on low.

Total cost:
About $7.00 for 4 chicken breasts, stock, soup and buns.

This chicken dish is cheep cheep cheep ( that is a barnyard pun...please forgive me)


Your shopping list:
Chicken breasts of the bones less skinless variety. 1 per person. My recipe assumes 4 people, obviously double as you increase your group.
1 box of Lipton Onion soup mix. The Market Pantry brand is just as awesome and way cheaper.
1 4-6ounce can/ box of chicken stock

Cooking Instructions:

Dump the container of broth into the crock pot, if you bought it in one of those little cardboard containers it makes a very satisfying sound if you dump it over and squeeze the box. Try it, I dare you not to love it.

Add in 1 packet of onion soup mix. Stir in. I like to let the broth warm up with the mix in it before I add the chicken because I like it to be soupy. But you don't have to, you can totally just dump it all together.

Add in chicken. Raw chicken is a color I can only describe as pale, try not to look at it.

Cover the pot and simmer on low for about 6 hours. Or high for about 2.5 hours. Low lets you leave your chicken babies in the crock pot while you are at work. Trust me, 8 hours in the pot will do no harm. It will only make your chicken juicier and more delicious. If you are leaving for 8 hours, add in a couple extra ounces of stock to compensate.

Open up the top and take two forks and drag them through the chicken to shred it. This should take about 4 seconds because the chicken is so tender.

Pile a big blob of chicken on a whole wheat bun ( I prefer mine toasty in the broiler) and enjoy the crumbs out of it. This chicken nukes up amazingly.

Guess what guys? This chicken dish is actually really good over rice with fresh veggies on top- think Curie.
Try a few different mediums but try this chicken. I swear you will like it! And your kids will like it, even your " I hate everything that isn't white or blu-razzberrie flavored" kids will like this.

For a super decadent sammie add a dollop of sour cream on top. It tastes like french onion chip dip.

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

My mom use to make this back in the late 70's, must be making a comeback.:)

Anonymous said...

Made this recipe tonight...loved it! Keep 'em coming!!

Post a Comment